Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passover in Mbabane




I love celebrating holidays in new settings, and Passover this year was a great example of how fun it can be to enjoy familiar foods and rituals with new friends. Our friend Yael hosted a terrific, huge seder, with 30-40 adults and a dozen children.

I was too busy to be really creative, but I did manage to put together a pretty plate of grilled vegetables and some yummy macaroons (no photos of the latter, unfortunately!)
During the cocktail hour, we managed to get a few photos of friends. Here's Peter, with our friend Dave and his son, Duma.
Jessie and Uriel are reclined and ready for the seder to start.
Yael's husband is an engineer, and together they designed their dream home in one of the valleys here. The seder was held in their beautiful sunken living room, where everyone sat in a huge circle on low couches and pillows.

Here's Yael, explaining some of the Passover traditions (her third, son, just seven months old (I think) listens on):
It was truly a wonderful potluck, with everything from Yael's delicious homemade matzoh ball soup to hummus to roast beef to all kinds of salads and curries and goodness. One level about the seder space was their formal dining table, where Peter and I eventually sat for dinner.
The best moment of the evening, though, was when Yael coached her second son (age 5 or 6) through the four questions. He wasn't the youngest kid there - his baby brother was obviously younger - but he was the youngest of the hosts' family. He did a great job!

No comments: